Frequently Asked Questions
- Where does Girls in Engineering take place?
- Girls in Engineering is a non-residential day camp on the University of California, Berkeley campus. Daily activities will take place at various locations around campus.
- How do I register my child for Girls in Engineering?
- Students interested in attending a Girls in Engineering camp must submit an application. The application process is competitive and only 30 students will be selected for each camp session. Typically, 1 out of 2 applicants are accepted. Applications typically open in early or mid-January.
- Who is eligible to participate in Girls in Engineering?
- Students who live in the San Francisco Bay Area and will be entering 6th, 7th, or 8th grade in the fall of 2020 may apply for the summer 2020 camps. Students who are home-schooled and will be 11 to 13 years old in summer 2020 are also eligible for our 2020 camps. Girls in Engineering is open to students of all gender identities.
However, students can only participate in GiE once, so if your child has already participated they cannot participate again.
Volunteers: Students currently in 9th, 10th, 11th, or 12th grade can apply to be volunteers for the Girls in Engineering camps. To join our 2021 volunteer mailing list, please complete our short form
- I don’t live in the San Francisco Bay Area. Can my child still apply?
- No, only students who live in the San Francisco Bay Area are eligible to apply.
- My child participated in a previous Girls in Engineering camp. Can they participate again?
- No, in the interest of providing this experience to as many students as possible, we will not be accepting applications from students who participated in the past. However, students who previously participated in GiE can apply to be volunteers once they are old enough.
- How much does Girls in Engineering cost?
- The fee for our 2020 camps will be $600. However, participants whose families demonstrate financial need will attend camp for free. Please see our Camp Fee page for more information
- What is expected of students who participate in Girls in Engineering?
- Accepted students are expected to attend the entire week-long session for which they are selected. Beyond that, participants are expected to bring an excitement to learn, an open mind, a great attitude, and a desire to make new friends!
- Do you run any programs for high school students?
- No, we currently do not run programs for high school students. However, students currently in 9th, 10th, 11th, or 12th grade can apply to be volunteers for the Girls in Engineering camps. (There is no camp fee for volunteers.) To join our 2019 volunteer mailing list, please complete our short form
- What if I have questions or concerns about Berkeley’s Girls in Engineering program?
- Please see the Contact page of this website for more information on how to connect with Girls in Engineering.