Frequently Asked Questions
Show all answers Hide all answers
- When does Girls in Engineering take place?
In the summer of 2017 there will be four camp sessions:
- June 19–23
- June 26–30
- July 10–14
- July 17–21
Program schedule: 8:30am – 4:30pm daily
- Where does Girls in Engineering take place?
- Girls in Engineering is a non-residential day camp on the University of California, Berkeley campus. Daily activities will take place at various locations around campus. In addition, there may be a field trip to a local company.
- How do I register my daughter for Girls in Engineering?
- Girls interested in attending a Girls in Engineering camp must submit an application. The application process is competitive and only 30 girls will be selected for each camp session. In 2016, only 1 out of every 3 applicants were accepted. Applications will open in early February.
- Who is eligible to participate in Girls in Engineering?
- Girls who live in the San Francisco Bay Area and will be entering 6th, 7th, or 8th grades in the fall of 2018 may apply for the summer 2017 camps. If your daughter is home-schooled and will be eleven to fourteen years old in summer 2017, she is also eligible.
Additionally, girls can only participate in GiE once, so if your daughter has already participated she cannot participate again.
Volunteers: Young women currently in 9th, 10th, 11th, or 12th grades can apply to be volunteers for the Girls in Engineering camps. To join our volunteer mailing list, please visit http://bit.ly/GiE2017Volunteers
- I don't live in the San Francisco Bay Area. Can my daughter still apply?
- No, only girls who live in the San Francisco Bay Area are eligible to apply.
- My daughter participated in a previous Girls in Engineering camp. Can she participate again?
- No, in the interest of providing this experience to as many girls as possible, we will not be accepting applications from girls who participated in the past.
- How much does Girls in Engineering cost?
- The fee for our 2017 camps will be $600. However, girls whose families demonstrate financial need will attend camp for free. Please see our Camp Fee page for more information
- What is expected of girls who participate in Girls in Engineering?
- Accepted students are expected to attend the entire week-long session for which they are selected. Beyond that, girls are expected to bring an excitement to learn, an open mind, a great attitude, and a desire to make new friends!
- Do you run any programs for high school girls?
- No, we currently do not run programs for high school girls. However, young women currently in 9th, 10th, 11th, or 12th grades can apply to be volunteers for the Girls in Engineering camps. (There is no camp fee for volunteers.)
- What if I have questions or concerns about Berkeley's Girls in Engineering program?
- Please see the Contact page of this website for more information on how to connect with Girls in Engineering.