Be a Volunteer
Are you a high school student looking for volunteer opportunities?
Apply to be a Counselor in Training (CIT) for our Girls in Engineering summer camps. Attend the camp for FREE while supporting staff and campers. CITs must be a rising 10th, 11th, or 12th grader during the summer when they volunteer.
Join our mailing list to stay updated about the 2022 application timeline. Learn more about the volunteer opportunity and the application process below.
Who can be a CIT?
High school students of all gender identities are eligible to apply if they fulfill the following criteria at the time of the application:
- They live in the San Francisco Bay Area
- They will be entering entering 10th, 11th or 12th grade in fall 2022
We look for volunteers who:
- Demonstrate a interest in and/or desire to learn more about engineering & science
- Enjoy working with middle school students
- Are responsible, outgoing, friendly & welcoming
- Can bring energy & enthusiasm, whether in person or online
- Tend to be natural leader
We strongly encourage students from the following backgrounds to apply:
- Underrepresented in science & engineering
- Low socio-economic means
- May be first in their family to attend college
A counselor-in-training is an UNPAID volunteer position where high school students gain professional experience and participate fully in the smooth execution of camp.
Volunteer responsibilities include:
- Attend camp for the entire session (or sessions)
- Be a positive role model
- Bring enthusiasm & interest to learning
- Encourage camper participation
- Lead games, answer questions & support staff
- Enrich the camp experience
Each day you will assist with:
- Hands-on activities
- Facilitate games and activities
- Fostering peer-to-peer connections
- Provide individualized attention
The University of California, Berkeley campus.
Daily activities will take place at various locations around campus.
2022 SESSION DATES*:
- Session 1: June 27 – July 1
- Session 2: July 11 – 15
- Session 3: July 18 – 22
- Camp* (9:00am – 4:30pm)
* Camp plans may be subject to change due to COVID-19.
What to expect with the CIT application process:
- January 14, 2022 — HS CIT Application opens
- April 1, 2022* — HS CIT Application deadline
- April 30, 2022 — Admission decisions sent via email
* The application may close earlier if we fill all available spots.
High School CITs attend camp for FREE!
“As a CIT I was able to first handedly see the magic of GiE. This week I saw the how much a young adult can evolve and grow in just five days. The amount of confidence the campers gained and the friendships made, are all experiences that will impact the campers forever. There are many summer camps out there but I feel that the GiE experience is irreplaceable.”Maha, 2021 HS CIT