Be a Camper
Are you a middle school student curious about science, technology, engineering, art, and math?
Join us for a week of hands-on activities, design challenges & behind-the-scenes lab tours on the beautiful UC Berkeley Campus.
Through hand-on activities led by Berkeley faculty, engineers from industry, and student camp counselors, Girls in Engineering piques campers’ curiosity and shows them what is possible with an engineering degree. Come and discover engineering and STEM among students with similar interests.
Join our mailing list to stay updated about the 2022 application timeline. Learn more about the camp overview and application process below.
Who can be a camper?
Students of all gender identities are eligible to apply if they fulfill the following criteria at the time of the application:
- They live in the San Francisco Bay Area
- They will be entering 6th, 7th, or 8th grade (or homeschool equivalent) in the fall
We look for students who:
- Demonstrate a strong interest in and/or desire to learn more about engineering & science.
- Would benefit from an introductory hands-on STEM/STEAM camp covering a wide range of engineering & design thinking topics.
We strongly encourage students from the following backgrounds to apply:
- Underrepresented in science & engineering
- Low socio-economic means
- May be first in their family to attend college
Our week long camp offers an engaging curriculum led by UC Berkeley faculty, staff, and students with a focus on three main areas:
- Engineering Leadership via Communication and Team Skills – campers learn about who they are as individuals, explore strategies for working effectively in groups, and practice speaking skills.
- Design Innovation via Hands-on Learning – working in groups on design projects teaches campers to communicate effectively, to work together to solve problems, and to successfully negotiate differences.
- Learning in Context via Tours and Lab Demonstrations – campers work in small groups to solve a problem of their choosing. These projects are an excellent way for the participants to express their creativity, showcase their ideas, and learn more about engineering.
Each day our program offers:
- Engaging hands-on activities
- Small group community to help foster peer-to-peer connections and provide individualized attention
The University of California, Berkeley campus.
Daily activities will take place at various locations around campus.
2022 SESSION DATES*:
- Session 1: June 27 – July 1
- Session 2: July 11 – 15
- Session 3: July 18 – 22
- Camp* (9:00am – 4:30pm)
- Flexible drop-off and pickup
- Extended care optional
* Camp plans may be subject to change due to COVID-19.
What to expect with the application process:
- January 30, 2022 – Camp Application opens
- March 31, 2022* – Camp Application deadline
- April 15, 2022 – Admission decisions sent via email
* The application may close early if we reach 250 applicants.
- $600* (materials, lunch, and snacks included)
- $75 for Extended Care
* GiE awards full and partial scholarships based on financial need and actively recruits students from low socio-economic backgrounds and underrepresented minority groups.
Learn more in the scholarship tab below.
Full scholarships are automatically granted if your family qualifies for a government assistance program, including:*
If your family cannot afford camp but does not qualify automatically, you may still be eligible for a partial or full scholarship. Email email@example.com to discuss you particular situation.
Protect your information.
- Do not submit financial statements (tax returns, etc.) unless requested to do so.
- Sensitive information should never be emailed to us due to UC Berkeley’s data security policy.
* While Girls in Engineering does not request documentation when an application is submitted, they reserve the right to request this documentation during the review process.
“My daughter really enjoyed learning with GiE! She was motivated every day to build, study, and figure out how things worked in the real world.”June D., 2020 Summer Camp Parent